The nominations are done and the debates are done. Plenty of gifs and quotes to nitpick but I want to talk about the election holistically. I guess my general sentiment throughout this entire process is, "How is it possible Trump has gotten this far?" I didn't take him seriously when he began running and then he won a couple states. Then he won the nomination. I hope I'm not sitting here a couple months later and wondering how he won the Presidency.
I have tried hard to stay objective about Trump as much as possible. I watched a documentary on his businessman history. From what I can tell he appeals to the masses for a variety of reasons:
- He is not a politician. People are tired of politicians and he symbolizes the american dream for some people.
- He is racist/sexist/brash. People who are also racist or sexist or brash want to see people like themselves winning the election.
- He is not Hillary. This is probably the strongest reason. Basically every Trump supporter starts their argument with "Well he's not..."
For the record I love Bernie Sanders and would have voted for him. After a hard fought campaign I've been saddled with the task of trying to come around on Hillary. I don't love her. Here are the top 3 reasons I think people support Hillary:
- Her last name is Clinton. The masses remember the good old days of Bill and want to chase that high.
- She's qualified. Career politician. Knows how to pander, debate, and do her job.
- She's not Trump. Also the strongest reason people gravitate to her. If you haven't been offended by Trump then you haven't been paying attention.
I usually try and stay informed and do my research but this year I have turned my attention to local props. This year more than ever I have become disenchanted with democracy, the electoral college, and the election process. Either way I still have to go vote because it's the right thing to do.